Advertisement

Gas leak causes home evacuations in Hart

Updated: Feb. 8, 2018 at 8:57 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CASTRO COUNTY, TX (KFDA) - Around 50 houses in a two block area were evacuated in Hart after crews working in an alley accidentally cut a gas main line, causing a leak and small fire Thursday afternoon.

Atmos Energy said a third party contractor, unrelated to the company, was digging and cut one of their gas mains.

As Atmos tried to squeeze off the line to stop the leak, the natural gas ignited and started a small fire.

Get the latest Amarillo news straight to your phone! Apple | Android

Castro County fire officials said one of the workers received minor burns to the face while repairing the line.

The leak has since been stopped and repairs have been made.

Atmos said the residents who were evacuated as a precaution are now allowed to return home.

Copyright 2018 KFDA. All rights reserved.