Do Try This At Home: Inflate a balloon with water
AMARILLO, Texas (KFDA) - In this week’s Do Try This At Home with the Don Harrington Discovery Center, we will explain and show why hot air expands and cool air condenses using a balloon!
Inflate a balloon with water: Presented by Trinity Thorton, DHDC’s Virtual Learning Coordinator
- plastic water or pop bottle
- ice water
- hot water
- 2 containers to hold the water (large enough to place the bottle in)
- Stretch out the balloon by blowing it up some and pulling on it.
- Spread the mouth of the balloon over the mouth of the bottle.
- Take the bottle with the balloon on top and place it into the hot water (still standing up). The balloon should begin to fill up.
- Then, take the bottle with the balloon on top and place it into the cold water, like you did with the hot water. The balloon should then deflate.
- The air that is present when the balloon inflates is always there! When air is warmed it expands. When it is cooled, it condenses.
Copyright 2021 KFDA. All rights reserved.