AMARILLO, Texas (KFDA) - Xcel energy is offering winter energy-saving tips to help customers save money while temperatures drop.
“Electricity use typically increases during cold weather as customers turn up the heat to stay warm, which can lead to an unwelcome spike in monthly bills,” said Brad Baldridge, director of Customer and Community Relations. “Just being mindful of this, and taking some simple steps to use electricity more efficiently, can help our customers stay within their budgets this winter."
Some of the budget friendly tips Xcel recommends to their customers are:
- Installing a smart thermostat, which saves on energy costs by adjusting the temperature when customers are asleep or away from home. According to Xcel, proper use of a smart thermostat can cut energy bills by almost $180 per year.
- Keeping the thermostat at a moderate setting and wearing warm clothing inside can shave one percent off of the total heating bill for every degree the thermostat is set back.
- Replacing or cleaning air filters on heating units every three months helps the heating system work more efficiently, which saves on monthly bills.
- Keeping interior doors open to help air circulate heat more freely helps maintain constant heat and cooling levels.
- Running a ceiling fan in a clockwise direction to push warm air down from the ceiling adds comfort and savings. According to Xcel, ENERGY STAR® rated ceiling fans offer the best efficiency ratings.
- Turning down the thermostat when the fireplace is in use prevents the fireplace from drawing heat out of the room. Keeping the fireplace flue damper tightly closed when not in use will also prevent heat loss.
Xcel has also engaged a group of contractors to help residential customers make their homes more energy efficient.
An expert will identify where cold air is infiltrating the home and make certain adjustments free of charge.
The list of approved contractors, referred to as “program sponsors,” can be accessed here.