DALHART, Texas (KFDA) - Two men in Dalhart were injured in a gas explosion that destroyed a vacant home Saturday evening.
Around 10:45 p.m. the Dalhart Fire Department was dispatched to FM 1727 for a fire from a possible explosion.
Multiple area responders found the house had exploded due to a natural gas explosion with active fire coming out of the gas line.
The City of Dalhart’s Fire Marshall Curtis Brown says a 25 year old man and 29 year old man entered the abandoned house and lit a lighter to see, igniting the leaking natural gas.
The two men were transported to an Oklahoma City Hospital Burn Center with burns over 60% of their bodies.
The incident is still being investigated by the Dalhart Fire Marshal, State Fire Marshals and the Texas Railroad Commission.
Fire officials ask residents to call your gas company or 911 if you suspect any possible gas leaks.