AMARILLO, TX (KFDA) - Area state parks have scheduled various events next week, giving everyone a change to go outdoors for Spring Break.
The public is invited to spend some time outside over Spring Break at Caprock Canyons State Park & Trailway and Palo Duro Canyon State Park.
- Caprock Critters - The state park will share a slide-show presentation, teaching about the many different species of wildlife that can be seen in the park and the different roles each animal plays in the park’s ecosystem. The event will Friday, March 8 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Canyon Walk & Talk - Caprock Canyons will give a guided walk down the Upper Canyon Trail where hikers have the change to discuss more on the history, geology, flora and fauna of the park. The hike is on Saturday, March 9 from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Skins & Skulls - This event is designed specifically for kids 12 and under. They will have the chance to observe the skins and skulls of wildlife found at the park. Kids will also learn more about predator and prey relationships, carnivore, omnivore, herbivore, adaptions and more. The event is Saturday, March 9 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Texas State Bison Herd - Learn more about the current status and history of the Official Bison Herd of Texas. The event will feature a slide-show presentation discussing the Texas State Bison Herd, their history and beginnings, and what makes them important to the conservation of bison. Participants are asked to bring a flashlight with them. The event takes place on Saturday, March 9 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Palo Duro Canyon:
- Palo Duro Canyon Photography Contest Judging - The park is asking for the public’s help in judging their photography contest, all while experiencing the amazing photography of the canyon. Voting instructions and materials will be provided. Participants are asked to meet at the Visitor Center, located inside the park entrance. Judging takes place on Saturday, March 9 from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
- Sunset Hike - Hikers can experience the canyon at one of the most beautiful times of the day through Palo Duro’s Sunset Hike. The hike is about 1.5 miles on easy to moder terrain. Hikers should dress for the weather, bring plenty of water and a flashlight for after the sun sets. Participants are asked to meet at the scenic overlook parking lot located next to the Visitor Center. The hike will begin at 7:30 p.m. and is expected to end at 9:30 p.m.