Carbon Monoxide Detectors Misused - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports

Carbon Monoxide Detectors Misused

They are made to alert you if carbon monoxide is leaking into your home.. But what you do could cause them not read accurately.

It is the number one poison killer in the US... And a simple monitor can keep it from happening to you.. But detecting Carbon Monoxide levels may not be as simple as plug in and go.

Be cautious of where you put your detector... Because if it is to close to a product that puts out CO2 it could give you a false reading.

"No closer than about 15 feet from any source of Carbon Monoxide." Capt. Bob Johnson with the Amarillo Fire Department says.

That's important because the sensor works off of the parts per million it reads in the air.

"Wwe usually find 7,8,9 parts per million that's common to find in a house, and that's not going to hurt you. When it gets up to about 30 parts per million and stays there, for about, it varies, 3 or 4 hours, then it will go off." Johnson says.

Johnson says the high parts per million the less time allowance before the machine sounds its alarm.

Also.. Know what type of detector you have... So you can keep up with when it needs to be replaced.

Parker Beebe with Beebe's Ace Lumber and Supply says, "The less expensive one has a shelf life of 6 months, and it has a replacement sensor so it would last you a year. The others are more permanent type installations and the instructions will give you a period of time that would be allowable to replace the sensors."

If you have questions about your detector you can call the Poison Control Center or the Amarillo Fire Department.

Powered by Frankly