Medication for infants and toddlers under the age of two have been voluntarily recalled by their makers because of overdose risks.
Dr. Kashif Ali, a local Pediatrician, says these products should have been taken off the market years ago because they don't make children better, they make them worse.
Several cold medicines made for infants were taken off the shelves today. Most of the products were in the form of liquid drops.
"The medicine dispensed in the droppers is more concentrated than the medicine that is dispensed in a cup, " said Dr. Ali.
He also says he's happy the medicines have been recalled, but not for the reason you may think.
"All of these medications should be out of the reach of parents because they do nothing, they make your child more sick," Dr. Ali adds with much enthusiasm.
Saying there are specific ingredients in the cough medicines that cause lung spasms which will make your child cough more. He also says because of the taste, the medication's are often overused. Manufacturers say it's parents misuse of the med's that is leading to overdoses.
Dr. Ali also says symptom's of an overdose are loss of appetite, lethargic behavior, hallucination's and nightmares.
"A child will not sleep a lot, most of these medications they promote sleep, they sedate the child, the child is not coughing and crying so mama think the medicine is working and the child is getting better that's basically the overdose." said Ali
He recommends parents call or visit their doctor at the first sign of a cough because over the counter medicines don't work and it could be something more serious.
- Decongestant Plus Cough Infant Drops
- Decongestant Infant Drops
- Decongestant Plus Cough
- Multi-Symptom Cold Formula
- Infant Drops Decongestant (containing pseudoephedrine)
- Infant Drops Decongestant & Cough (containing pseudoephedrine)
- Infant Dropper Decongestant (containing phenylephrine)
- Infant Dropper Long-Acting Cough
- Infant Dropper Decongestant & Cough (containing phenylephrine)
- Infant Cough DM Drops
- Infant & Toddler Thin Strips Decongestant
- Infant & Toddler Thin Strips Decongestant Plus Cough