Your teen athlete could be using sports creams to help relieve their aches and pains, but too much of the product could end up killing your child.
Just recently, it was discovered one teen's death was caused by using too much sports cream.
This 17 year old track star from New York died in April from using too much muscle cream, a product used by many.
"I know a lot of my friends use them and I was just shocked and concerned because nobody ever thinks about it or anything and then it happened, I would have never thought it would have happened," says area athlete Todd Phillips.
Although it is rare, if used excessively a key ingredient in the creams and ointments can cause methyl salicylate poisoning which can lead to death.
Many people, especially athletes use these sports creams to help relieve sore muscles, but ones we spoke with today say they are going to think twice before using these products after hearing about the recent death.
"I think people shouldn't use it, should only use it when you're told to use it," says Toby Smith, an area basketball and football athlete. Phillips adds, "I know that I'll never try them again that's for sure and I'll just remind my friends not to over use them."