(CBS/AP) Al Qaeda-linked insurgents killed three American soldiers after capturing them last month in Iraq, according to a militant video released Monday that claimed to show footage of the ambush. The video offered no proof for its claims.
The clip, which was made available to The Associated Press by the Washington-based SITE Institute, showed confused and jerky night battle scenes, and later offered close-ups of two identification cards. It did not show the soldiers.
"The Americans sent 4,000 soldiers looking for them," said an unidentified voice on the video, which was made available to The Associated Press by the Washington-based SITE, which monitors terrorist groups. "They were alive and then dead."
The video offered no proof for its claims that the soldiers had been killed and buried. The voiceover blamed their deaths on "the American Army and their leaders, who do not care for the feelings of the soldiers' families."
The U.S. military said Monday that the search for two missing American soldiers will continue despite a militant's video and it held out hope they "will be found alive and in good health."
The body of one of the soldiers later was found in Iraq's Euphrates River, but the other two remain missing. Family friends of the missing men said the U.S. military briefed relatives about the video over the weekend.
At the end of the 10-minute 41-second video, the identification cards of the two missing soldiers were shown, with the headline: "Bush is the reason of the loss of your POWs" written on the screen above the cards. SITE did not say how it obtained the video, which featured the logo of the media production house of the Islamic State of Iraq.
Along with the identification cards, the footage also showed credit cards, American and Iraqi money and other personal items that the militants called "booty."
The video also showed footage, apparently taken before the ambush, of three masked men standing around a stand displaying a sketch of the area, mapping out the attack plan. One of the three men, who were all dressed in black, talked to the camera and pointed to the sketch. Another stood by him carrying a gun.
"I have urged you to bring me American prisoners," said the man, whose name was not given but was identified as one of the militant group's leaders.
"Our thoughts and prayers remain with the families of our missing," said Brig. Gen. Kevin Bergner, the chief military spokesman in Baghdad. "We condemn the tactics used by these terrorists, and are using all means available to pursue those responsible."
"We are further analyzing the video, however it doesn't appear to contain any definitive evidence indicating the status of our missing soldiers," he added. "We continue to search and hope that our two missing soldiers will be found alive and in good health."
In Washington, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said he had not seen any video but heard there were "promises made that a video may be released."
The body of one of the soldiers was found on May 23 in the Euphrates River and later identified by the U.S. military as Pfc. Joseph Anzack Jr., 20, of Torrance, Calif. The missing soldiers have been identified as Spc. Alex R. Jimenez, 25, of Lawrence, Mass., and Pvt. Byron W. Fouty, 19, of Waterford Township, Mich.
A family friend of Fouty said the military briefed Fouty's father, Mick Fouty, about the video on Saturday night.
"From what I hear, it shows the soldier's uniforms and dog tags and warns the U.S. to back off on the search," said Cathy Conger of suburban Detroit.
"What it does not show one way or another is if they're alive or not," Conger said. "I just feel really bad about it. I hope that he's still alive. My prayers are with him."
Fouty's stepfather, Gordon Dibler of Oxford, Michigan, told a suburban Detroit radio station that the military told him Saturday that the video showed personal identification items from the soldiers.
"They prepared me in a very proper and considerate way," he told WWJ-AM radio.
In Massachusetts, the Jimenez family had not seen the video Monday, said family friend Wendy Luzon, who spoke with Jimenez's father, Ramon "Andy" Jimenez.
"He said it was a good sign for the family," Luzon said.
In other developments: