Hand sanitizers could pose a special danger to your kids. Newschannel10's Tina Berasley tells us how it could be hazardous if not used properly, she joins us in the studio with this child safety alert.
Just like many other household products what's inside a bottle of hand sanitizer could be dangerous if swallowed, but unlike other cleaners it's main ingredient could pose a unique problem.
Dominick Alaniz is an active 4 year-old, who, according to his mom, gets in his share of messes at home. His mom Hope Ramirez says "He gets into everything, he's curious about everything but yeah he would put anything in his mouth that looked tasty.
And she says that could include the hand sanitizer she keeps in her home, a gel based product that replaces soap and water for cleaning-up on the go. But keeping it next to the sink may not be the best idea. The Texas panhandle poison center 's Jeanie Jaramillo says even if your child swallows a little amount it could lead to alcohol poisoning.
"They could have headaches, nausea, slurred speech, difficulty walking things like that particularly if they get a large amount, so we recommend people to get the very small bottles".
Jaramillo says the smaller the child the less sanitizer it will take, so parents should pay special attention when it's time to clean-up.
Ramirez added "I'm just gonna have to keep a closer eye on him and be around when he's using it, so you know not to keep it so handy and available".