COPY-How to Identify an Xcel Energy Worker

Ask to see a company I.D. if someone on your property claims to be working for Xcel Energy, regardless of the work being performed. If the person cannot show you an I.D., ask him or her to leave and return only with proper identification. If you have questions about someone claiming to work for Xcel Energy, please call our Customer Contact Center at (800) 895-4999.

All Xcel Energy employees and most contractors who perform work for us carry company I.D. cards.

Typical examples of situations that require a utility worker to enter your home:

  • appliance checks
  • meter readings/checks

These situations are usually a response to a request that you initiated -- asking us to check out a suspected gas odor or leak, or to service appliances or check your meter -- and you are expecting the visit -- or are routine meter-reading visits.

On occasion, we may ask for access into your home, but not in response  to a request you have placed. This could occur if there's been a gas outage in your neighborhood and we need indoor access to re-light the pilot lights on your gas appliances, or to perform a gas leak test.

Some situations may require that we enter your yard:

  • to restore power associated with an electric outage in your neighborhood -- our work is usually performed on poles or metal padmounted cabinets
  • to change out or restore an outside meter that was temporarily shut off
  • to locate and/or dig for buried utilities
  • to trim trees away from power lines that run through your property.

We encourage you to always ask for proof of identification.