Human Services Department Reaches Out to Eastern New Mexico Tornado Victims
Replacement EBT Cards, Emergency Food, Emergency Rental and Other Emergency Assistance Available
Santa Fe, New Mexico, March 26, 2006 - The Human Services Department's (HSD) Income Support Division (ISD) is encouraging victims of the tornados that touched down in Curry, Quay and Roosevelt counties to request emergency assistance available to them through the department and other partnering agencies. "People need to know help is available through HSD and our network of agencies across the state for situations just like this," said Pamela Hyde, HSD Secretary. "Emergency food, emergency rental, and emergency clothing are just some of the assistance available to many of the victims."
Current clients who have lost their Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards, or their food purchased through the Food Stamp program was lost or damaged in the tornados can get replacements by visiting the ISD offices in Clovis, Portales or Tucumcari.
Other services include food through USDA's The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP). HSD partners with New Mexico Association of Food Banks to bring more USDA commodity food to more eligible people across the state. TEFAP foods can include canned fruits and vegetables, juice, canned meat, frozen meat, rice beans and many other products. The Food Bank of Eastern New Mexico in Clovis serves the communities of Curry, Quay and Roosevelt Counties. The Food Bank is currently working with Salvation Army and Red Cross in Clovis and Logan.
HSD is also working with the Community Action Agencies (CAAs) that can provide disaster relief in the effected areas. The Eastern Plains Emergency Action Agency is proving food assistance vouchers, one month emergency rental assistance, prescription assistance, clothes, toiletries, sleeping bags and blankets, bottled water, infant formula and diapers. The CAAs receive Community Services Block Grant funding for emergencies such as tornados and can help lower-income families during these difficult times.
To learn more about the emergency assistance available, victims can contact the following offices.
- Curry County ISD Office - 3316 North Main Street, Suite A, Clovis, NM (505) 762-4751
- Quay County ISD Office - 421 W. Tucumcari Blvd, Tucumcari, NM (505) 461-4627
- Roosevelt County ISD Office -1028 Community Way, Portales, NM (505) 356-4473
- Food Bank of Eastern New Mexico in Clovis - (505) 763-6130 - Currently set up at the Civic Center in Logan at 901 Martinez and at the Clovis High School in Clovis at 1001 3rd St.
- Eastern Plains Community Action Agency in Tucumcari - 210 West Center, Tucumcari, NM (505) 461-1914 or 1-800-748-1919.
- Eastern Plains Community Action Agency in Clovis - 1012 West Grand, Clovis, NM (505) 769-1094.
Betina Gonzales McCracken
HSD Communications Director
(505) 827-6245 or (505) 699-4675