Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports

12.21.06

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A deadly poison that is difficult to detect and is in just about everyone's home...causes approximately 2100 deaths in the U.S. per year.

It's especially during the winter mohths that Northwest Texas Hospital sees more patients affected by this toxic poison. 

In every home lies the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning without you ever knowing it...and sometimes it can be too late. Dr. Stephan Neuman with NWTH explains, "Carbon monoxide a totally odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that is generated whenever any fossil fuel is burned...things like natural gas, oils, gasoline, diesel fuels and even wood...it's generated when those things aren't burned completely"
    

Dr. Neuman says patient's that come through the emergency room doors affected by carbon monoxide poisoning...Are usually those who use heating devices that aren't designed to be used inside the house.
    

Using heating devices such as propane cylinders, heaters that are designed to be used in an outside setting, kerosene heaters and old furnaces with cracks in their ventilation, make the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning greater for anyone out there that uses anything other than electricity to heat their home.
    

Carbon monoxide is undetectable to humans and people won't know that it's in their house without a carbon monoxide detector...until they get sick from it.

Jeanie Jaramillo with the Texas Panhandle Poison Control Center explains how symtoms may show, "One of the things that can happen with carbon monoxide is that children might feel ill in the morning or the parents might feel ill...and then they go to work or school for the day and they feel better.,,then they come home and by the next morning they feel ill again...that could be a sign that they may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning."    
    

Dr. Neuman says the most important thing anyone can do is get and have a carbon monoxide detector installed in their home...use heating devices appropriate for indoors and get furnaces checked.

The doctor says the problem with carbon monoxide poisoning is that early symptoms are exactly flu like...making it difficult to distinguish carbon monoxide poisoning.   
    

  • Health WatchMore>>

  • Legendary wildcatter Boone Pickens takes a Texas-sized fall

    Legendary wildcatter Boone Pickens takes a Texas-sized fall

    Friday, July 21 2017 8:18 AM EDT2017-07-21 12:18:33 GMT
    Friday, July 21 2017 4:49 PM EDT2017-07-21 20:49:07 GMT
    T. Boone Pickens, who is suffering from a series of strokes, took at "Texas-sized fall" that put him in the hospital last week.
    T. Boone Pickens, who is suffering from a series of strokes, took at "Texas-sized fall" that put him in the hospital last week.
  • RECALL ALERT: Activity toys recalled due to choking hazard

    RECALL ALERT: Activity toys recalled due to choking hazard

    Friday, July 21 2017 9:54 AM EDT2017-07-21 13:54:09 GMT

    Manhattan Toy recalls activity toys due to choking hazard. The colored plastic tubes on the product can become brittle and break into small pieces, posing a choking hazard to infants. The Winkel Colorburst teething and activity toy has multi-color plastic tubing inserted into a plastic cube with rattle beads inside. The model number and lot code are printed on the center of the cube and on the hang-tag and product packaging near the UPC code. Only activity balls with the follow...

    Manhattan Toy recalls activity toys due to choking hazard. The colored plastic tubes on the product can become brittle and break into small pieces, posing a choking hazard to infants. The Winkel Colorburst teething and activity toy has multi-color plastic tubing inserted into a plastic cube with rattle beads inside. The model number and lot code are printed on the center of the cube and on the hang-tag and product packaging near the UPC code. Only activity balls with the follow...

  • Don't let swimmer's ear ruin your summer fun

    Don't let swimmer's ear ruin your summer fun

    Thursday, July 20 2017 5:55 PM EDT2017-07-20 21:55:36 GMT
    Thursday, July 20 2017 6:04 PM EDT2017-07-20 22:04:02 GMT
    Swimmer's ear can happen in any season, but becomes more common during warmer months. (Source: CNN)Swimmer's ear can happen in any season, but becomes more common during warmer months. (Source: CNN)

    Despite its name, you don't have to spend time at a beach or pool to pick up the infection.

    Despite its name, you don't have to spend time at a beach or pool to pick up the infection.

Powered by Frankly