WEST TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY, TEXAS (KFDA) - West Texas A&M University's Office of Extended Studies will host a five-day West Texas Writers' Academy this Summer.
The academy will feature seven instructors covering classes in different genres. The classes aim to guide writers on a journey to improve their craft and publish their work.
Each instructor is a successfully published author who will share their knowledge with aspiring writers.
The writers who will be included in this academy include:
- Michael Frizell - Frizell is a graphic novelist, non-fiction writer, editor and educator who will lead a class on "Graphic Sequential Literature: Writing for Comic Books." Participants can learn how to develop ideas for this from of visual medium, as well as how to create a comic book or strip.
- Jolene Navarro - Navarro is a hybrid offer who will teach "Expanding Your Creativity: Writing Deeper." The class will explore four story elements - deepening plot, creativity, brainstorming high concept and exercises to spark creativity. Participants are required to have completed at least one book.
- Margie Lawson - Lawson is a writing coach for more than 20 published authors. She will guide writes on "Writing Compelling Fiction: Making Your Scenes Credible and Incredible" by conducting a class to help the advanced writer. The class will include working on openings, improving dialogue, building emotions, making details count and creating a strong back story.
- Lori Freeland - Freeland is a young adult fiction author, writing coach and blogger who will help with planning and polishing in "Unleash Your Story: From Ideas to Edits - Write, Rewrite or Remodel Your Novel." Participants will learn how to build a solid story with 3-D characters, vivid visuals, strong scenes and improved words and sentences.
- Rosa Latimer - Latimer is a non-fiction author who will teach "Creative Non-Fiction: Sure Steps to Jump Start Your Project and Make it a Reality." This class will guide attendees in organizing research, conducting effective interviews and staying true to the story and purpose while maintaining personal voice.
- Bethany Claire - The best-selling author will lead a course on "Mastering Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Grow and Cultivate Your Own Publishing Empire." The class will focus on how to set up and run a self-publishing business.
- Susan Donovan - The best-selling author will examine the great romance novel in "The Tao of Romance Fiction: A No-Nonsense Way to Plot and Write a Love Story." This class will look at heroes and heroines, dialogue, attraction, voice and the art of writing love scenes.
The academy began 10 years ago, and several graduates have achieved writing success.
The academy is $695 with a private residence hall room at $35 nightly. The registration deadline is May 12.
For more information on the academy or registration, call (806) 651-2037.