AUSTIN, TX - The Texas Department of Transportation is kicking off its "Share the Road: Look Twice for Motorcycles" campaign.
It is part of National Motorcycle Safety Awareness month. Crashes killed 501 people and serious injured another 2,100 motorcyclists last year in Texas.
As part of the campaign drivers are urged to look twice for motorcycles especially at intersections, avoid turning in front of an oncoming motorcycle or following one too closely.
To help everyone arrive safely at their destination, TxDOT's "Look Twice for Motorcycles" campaign urges drivers to:
· Look twice for motorcycles, especially at intersections.
· Always assume motorcycles are closer than they appear.
· Avoid turning in front of an oncoming motorcycle.
· Use turn signals and check blind spots before changing lanes.
· Avoid following a motorcycle too closely.
· Give motorcyclists a full lane.
· Obey posted speed limits.
Source: Texas Department of Transportation