AMARILLO, TX (KFDA) - United Way announced $1.6 million in funding for community programs in two of the Panhandle's largest cities.
29 community programs in Amarillo and Canyon will receive a portion of the $1.6 million dollars United Way is distributing.
These programs serve a variety of populations among the communities, from children to elderly, low-income to disabled.
United Way said all of these organizations matter for the communities they serve.
"The community impact is being able to fund those programs so they exist," said Belinda Crelia-Palacios. "There's a lot of these programs that would not exist without United Way funding. If those programs were to go away there would be a void in how that community functioned."
One of the recipients of the United Way funding is the Catholic Charities of The Texas Panhandle.
Its Hunger Project feeds 700 low income residents per month.
"The Hunger Project feeds those who are low income, either 55 or over, or on disability," said Jeff Gulde, executive director of Catholic Charities. "With United Way funding, we're able to purchase food through the food bank at a very competitive rate to keep a variety on our shelves for our clients."
Gulde says it would be hard to support the hunger project without United Way funding.
"That funding is a good portion of our food budget for what we do," said Gulde.
Organizations receiving funding from United Way include:
- AISD-Set fot Success Adult Education GED Program
- Amarillo Recovery from Alcohol & Drugs
- Amarillo Wesley Community Center
- American Red Cross-Texas Panhandle Chapter
- Boys Scouts of America-Golden Spread Council
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Amarillo & Canyon
- Buckner Children & Family Services
- Catholic Charities of the Texas Panhandle/Hunger Project
- Children's Learning Centers of Amarillo
- COHS-Nurse Family Partnership
- Epilepsy Foundation Texas-West Texas
- Family Support Services of Amarillo
- Girl Scouts of Texas Oklahoma Plains
- Goodwill Industries of Northwest Texas
- Jan Werner Adult Day Care Center
- PRPC/Area Agency of Aginig FoodNet
- The Salvation Army of Amarillo