Chicken coop heat lamp cause of Wednesday evening fire - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports

Chicken coop heat lamp cause of Wednesday evening fire

(Source: KFDA NewsChannel 10) (Source: KFDA NewsChannel 10)
AMARILLO, TX (KFDA) -

Wednesday around 8:30 p.m. the Amarillo Fire Department responded to a fire in the 5300 block of Tawney and found fire coming from the alley and back yard. 

A storage building, chicken coop, backyard play equipment, wooden fence, and utility pole were on fire. A fence across the alley also caught fire from the radiant heat, and an electrical service line was damaged.

Crews were able to call the fire under control by 8:55 p.m. 

The Amarillo Fire Marshal's Office determined a heat lamp in the chicken coop started the fire, which then spread to the other areas. 

Get the latest Amarillo news straight to your phone! Apple | Android

The residents were not home when the fire started. Several chickens perished in the fire. 

The fire was ruled as accidental. Damages are estimated at $25,000.

Copyright 2018 KFDA. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly