Officials release names of couple poisoned by carbon monoxide - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports

Officials release names of couple poisoned by carbon monoxide

Paul Van Le and Nghi Nguyen, who police believed were poisoned by carbon monoxide (Source: Family members) Paul Van Le and Nghi Nguyen, who police believed were poisoned by carbon monoxide (Source: Family members)
AMARILLO, TX (KFDA) -

Officials have released the names of the couple who died this weekend from what is believed to be carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Amarillo Fire Department responded to the 900 block of North Evergreen to find 80-year-old Paul Van Le and 83-year-old Nghi Nguyen dead.

Get the latest Amarillo news straight to your phone! Apple | Android

Officials say they had been using an appliance manufactured for outdoor cooking inside their kitchen. The appliance produces a large open flame, which is a source of carbon monoxide.

Since the appliance was meant for outdoor use only, there was no venting system. This caused the carbon monoxide produced by the flame to fill the inside of the home.

The home did not have a carbon monoxide alarm at the time.

The couple's daughter believes the carbon monoxide spread after the family was preparing a native dish that takes 24 hours to cook. 

The couple were refugees from Vietnam.

The Amarillo Fire Department would like to remind residents that all appliances should be used according to their manufactured purpose. 

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, so officials want to remind residents of the importance of carbon monoxide alarms.

If your carbon monoxide detector sounds an alert, call 911 immediately.  

Copyright 2018 KFDA. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly