AMARILLO, TX (KFDA) - The Amarillo VA is partnering with the Texas Tech School of Pharmacy to bring flu vaccines to veterans and their spouses all week long.
With flu season starting in October, veterans and their spouses are taking preventative measures to make sure they do not get sick this year. The shots are free for veterans and Medicare or Tricare eligible spouses and $40 for others.
Doctors say they want as many people to get immunizations now so they can protect others around them.
"I'm a firm believer that flu shots are very important," said Veteran Larry Boyer. "So I've gotten a flu shot every year for as long as I can remember. Since the VA is offering them today for all veterans at no charge, it was just the perfect time to come out and take care of the business of making sure I don't catch the flu this year."
About 250 veterans and spouses came out today with more expected throughout the week.
Here is a list of days and times for the flu vaccines provided by Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center:
- Tuesday Sept. 26, 5:30 p.m. until 7:00 p.m in the front lobby
- Wednesday Sept. 27, 5:30 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. in the front lobby
- Thursday Sept. 28, 5:30 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. in the front lobby
- Friday Sept. 29, 5:30 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. in the front lobby
- Saturday Sept. 30, 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. in the front lobby
If you have any questions about the vaccines, call (806) 468-1890.