BALTIMORE (RNN) - Some residents near a chemical plant were told to shelter in place for two hoursbecause of a chemical leak. That order has been lifted.
Baltimore Fire Department Chief Roman Clark said it appears that a valve from a tanker separated from a trailer, causing the leak at the Solvay Plant. Clark said the chemical involved is chlorosulfuric acid, WBAL reports.
Baltimore's Office of Emergency Management said that residents within a one-mile radius were told to shelter in place.
The Baltimore Fire Department called it a Level 3 hazmat situation.
1:30PM: ALL CLEAR. Situation in Curtis Bay has been resolved. Shelter in place is lifted.— Baltimore OEM (@BaltimoreOEM) September 18, 2017
That means extremely dangerous materials are in the area, but it may be entered by emergency personnel in protective clothing that have self-contained breathing apparatus, and leaving no skin exposed.
We are hearing it is a Level 3 Haz Mat see below for explaination. pic.twitter.com/Y8R36JGRM4— Kathleen Cairns (@CairnsKcairns) September 18, 2017
Employees from a nearby business said they can smell a strong, acidic aroma.
NOAA said that vapor from chlorosulfuric acid is "extremely irritating to lungs and mucous membranes," though it has such a strong odor that "inhalation of severely toxic quantities is unlikely unless it is impossible to escape the fumes." Contact with the liquid form can cause severe burns.
Copyright 2017 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.