A chlorosulfuric acid leak at a chemical plant caused some residents near the plant to shelter in place on Monday. (Source: WJLA/CNN)
BALTIMORE (RNN) - Some residents near a chemical plant were told to shelter in place for two hoursbecause of a chemical leak. That order has been lifted.
Baltimore Fire Department Chief Roman Clark said it appears that a valve from a tanker separated from a trailer, causing the leak at the Solvay Plant. Clark said the chemical involved is chlorosulfuric acid, WBAL reports.
Employees from a nearby business said they can smell a strong, acidic aroma.
NOAA said that vapor from chlorosulfuric acid is "extremely irritating to lungs and mucous membranes," though it has such a strong odor that "inhalation of severely toxic quantities is unlikely unless it is impossible to escape the fumes." Contact with the liquid form can cause severe burns.
Copyright 2017 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.