Standoff ends, suspect being evaluated at hospital

Standoff ends, suspect being evaluated at hospital

UPDATE: Amarillo, TX -  The 70 year old woman in an overnight standoff with police is now in custody and being evaluated at a local hospital.

The woman's name has not been released, however she did contact NewsChannel 10 around 6:00 Tuesday morning asking for help.

She said she was calling from the police phone that was thrown inside the house. She went on to say her electricity had been shut off by police and she was unable to use her oxygen.

The elderly woman placed a second call to the NewsChannel 10 newsroom where Early Show anchor Angie Winn was able to speak with her.

The woman sounded distressed and was having trouble breathing. She said she was asthmatic and needed medical attention. The woman yelled into the phone over and over that her lungs were burning and she thought she was about to die.

At one point, the woman and Corporal Neufeld of APD were both on the phone with Winn. The lady eventually hung up and moments later was in police custody.

NewsChannel 10 will continue to bring you up to the minute details on the case. Stay with us throughout the day.


Tuesday, Jan. 12th, 6:30 a.m.

UPDATE: Amarillo, TX The woman in a standoff with Amarillo police contacted NewsChannel 10 on the police phone that SWAT threw inside the home.

Police have confirmed the woman who called is 70 years old and is now in custody.

She has been transported to the hospital for evaluation.


Monday, Jan. 11th, 11:57 p.m.

AMARILLO - SWAT officers have set up a perimeter around an Amarillo home for a standoff situation, according to the Amarillo Police Department.

The home is located in the 3500 block of SW 8th Avenue. Surrounding neighbors have been safely evacuated as well as others that were inside the home, said Amarillo Police Cpl. Jerry Neufeld.

Neufeld said the person inside fired multiple shots from inside the home. Members of the APD's SWAT unit arrived to the scene around 10:30 and were able to make initial contact with the resident. Negotiations have since ceased.

Police responded just before 9 p.m. Monday. They say the initial call was made by the resident inside, who claimed they were armed and intended to cause self-harm. Another resident inside the home confirmed to police that the person was armed.

Stay with NewsChannel10 as this story develops. Updates will be posted on this page as they become available.