On a typical day in the Texas Panhandle, children will go to bed hungry. Children without proper nutrition have difficulty concentrating in school, experience tardiness and are more prone to chronic illness that can hinder proper growth development.
By providing nutritious meals and snacks, The Kids Cafe Program helps start children on the right path for success. Launched nationally in 1993, there are currently more than 1,200 Kids Cafes operating in the United States through Feeding America, the nation's leading domestic hunger relief charity.
The Kids Cafe Program uses federal funding from Child & Adult Care Food Program and the Summer Food Service Program in addition to private donations, grants, and scholarships to provide hot nutritious meals.
The High Plains Food Bank's Kids Cafe program is a collaboration of paid staff and volunteers.
- Students enjoy meals and snacks during non-school hours x Children also receive food safety lessons, nutrition education and hands-on instruction to help create healthy lifestyles x We serve over 2000 meals on a daily basis Monday – Friday during non-school hours and in the summer time.
- Kids Cafe is one of the nation's largest nutrition education programs providing children with the nourishment they may not get at home.
- Since opening the first Kids Cafe Program site in 2003, the High Plains Food Bank has expanded into other locations and has built a 3,000-square-foot building located north of the High Plains Food Bank main office.
How to become involved:
- Volunteers are needed for nutrition education at Kids Cafe sites; for example, professionals and students in dietetics, kinesiology and culinary arts. To get involved, contact Maribel Sotelo | Director of Kids Cafe email@example.com 806.350.1436
- Donations are accepted in person at 815 S. Ross Amarillo TX Mail: PO BOX 31803 Amarillo TX 79120 Online: www.hpfb.org/donate
- New Kids Cafe Sites are accepted throughout the year. The process and approval to begin a new site can take up to 3 months. The Kids Cafe Kitchen prepares nutritious and appealing meals, which are delivered to sites. In order to receive meals, a site must be located in a school zone whose free and reduced meal eligibility is greater than 50%. Please contact Maribel Sotelo| Director of Kids Cafe for more information firstname.lastname@example.org 806.350.1436
High Plains Food Bank