Amarillo, TX - The Texas Department of State Health Services will hold a Mental Health discussion today from 1-4 p.m.
The meeting will prompt discussions and counter misconceptions about mental health and substance abuse.
The DSHS is hosting a community conversation with Amarillo community leaders as part of a stat's new Speak Your Mind Texas campaign.
The Amarillo event is one of a series of 16 town hall-style community conversations happening around Texas this summer, and will feature a forum for local leaders, mental health professionals and people who have experienced living with mental illness to talk about the issue.
The goal of the DSHS campaign is to raise awareness and reduce negative perception about mental illness and increase access to treatment and recovery for teens and young adults.
The meeting will take place today, July 25 from 1-4 p.m.It will be held at Northwest Texas Hospital Pavilion Auditorium, 7201 Evans Bld.The public is invited to attend and speakers will include the following:
- Libby Moore, LPC, Executive Manager of Behavioral Health, Texas Panhandle Centers Behavioral and Developmental Health.
- Stacy Sandorskey, LPC, Director of Children's/STAR and Disaster Services, Texas Panhandle Centers Behavioral and Developmental Health.
- Amy Hord, LMSW, Instructor of Social Work, West Texas A&M University-Canyon
- Terri Witt, family testimonial
- Brandi Reed, Family Support Services
- Deborah Evans, Deputy Regional Director, DSHS Health Service Region 1