Bosnian mom buries 2 sons 19 years after massacre - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports

Bosnian mom buries 2 sons 19 years after massacre

Posted: Updated:
(AP Photo/Amel Emric). A Bosnian Muslim woman searches for the coffin of her relative, in the Memorial center in Potocari, 200 kms northeast of Sarajevo, on Wednesday, July 9, 2014. (AP Photo/Amel Emric). A Bosnian Muslim woman searches for the coffin of her relative, in the Memorial center in Potocari, 200 kms northeast of Sarajevo, on Wednesday, July 9, 2014.
(AP Photo/Amel Emric). Ema Hasanovic, 5, a young Bosnian Muslim girl, pays her respects near to the coffin of her uncle, in the Memorial center in Potocari, 200 kms northeast of Sarajevo, on Wednesday, July 9, 2014. (AP Photo/Amel Emric). Ema Hasanovic, 5, a young Bosnian Muslim girl, pays her respects near to the coffin of her uncle, in the Memorial center in Potocari, 200 kms northeast of Sarajevo, on Wednesday, July 9, 2014.
(AP Photo/Amel Emric, File) (AP Photo/Amel Emric, File)
  • NationalMore>>

  • Cause sought for gunfight between patient, doctor

    Cause sought for gunfight between patient, doctor

    Friday, July 25 2014 2:32 AM EDT2014-07-25 06:32:54 GMT
    Authorities hope to learn if a psychiatrist had concerns about a patient who allegedly killed a case worker at a suburban Philadelphia hospital before the doctor pulled out his own gun to protect himself.
    Authorities are attempting to determine why a patient fatally shot a caseworker at a suburban Philadelphia hospital complex and whether a psychiatrist who pulled out his own gun and wounded the patient had concerns about him.
  • Ohio State band marches on after director's firing

    Ohio State band marches on after director's firing

    Friday, July 25 2014 2:12 AM EDT2014-07-25 06:12:24 GMT
    The Ohio State marching band is moving forward without its director; a day after he was fired they're performing with the Columbus Symphony in what's often considered the band's unofficial season kickoff.
    The Ohio State marching band is moving forward without its director; a day after he was fired they're performing with the Columbus Symphony in what's often considered the band's unofficial season kickoff.
  • Family feud sparks revolt at grocery store chain

    Family feud sparks revolt at grocery store chain

    Friday, July 25 2014 2:03 AM EDT2014-07-25 06:03:40 GMT
    It's been called a David vs. Goliath story, a "Tale of Two Arthurs" and even the "ultimate Greek tragedy," but the characters in this drama are not Biblical or literary figures.
    It's been called a David vs. Goliath story, a "Tale of Two Arthurs" and even the "ultimate Greek tragedy," but the characters in this drama are not Biblical or literary figures.
By AMEL EMRIC and AIDA CERKEZ
Associated Press

SREBRENICA, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) - After 19 years, Hajrija Selimovic finally has a place to mourn her family.

Selimovic buried her two sons Friday next to her husband's white tombstone in a cemetery for the victims of Srebrenica, Europe's worst massacre since World War II.

The three were among the 8,000 Muslim men and boys killed when Serb forces overran the eastern Bosnian town on July 11, 1995. Samir was 23 and Nermin 19 when they were shot by an execution squad.

The remains of Srebrenica victims are still being found in mass graves to this day and are being identified using DNA technology. Every July 11, more are buried at a memorial center near the town.

"They were victims of monstrous nationalism," Camil Durakovic, Srebrenica's mayor, said Friday.

Selimovic's two sons were among the 175 newly identified victims laid to rest this year, joining 6,066 others including their father Hasan, who was found in 2001 but buried only last year.

"I didn't want to bury him because they found only his head and a few little bones," Selimovic said. "I waited, thinking the rest will be found and then everything can be buried at once ... but there was nothing else and we buried what we had."

The eastern, Muslim-majority town of Srebrenica was a U.N.-protected area besieged by Serb forces throughout Bosnia's 1992-95 war. But U.N. troops offered no resistance when the Serbs overran the town, rounded up Muslims and killed the males. An international court later labeled the slayings as genocide.

After the massacre, then-U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright waved satellite photos of mass graves at the U.N. Security Council, saying Washington knew where the mass graves were.

That's when Serb troops rushed to the sites with bulldozers and moved the remains to other locations. As the machines ploughed up bodies they ripped them apart, and now fragments of the same person can be scattered among several different sites.

"The perpetrators had every hope that these people would be wiped out and never found again," said Kathryne Bomberger, head of the International Commission for Missing Persons, a Bosnia-based DNA identification project.

The commission, established in 1996, has collected almost 100,000 blood samples from relatives of the missing in the Yugoslav wars. It has analyzed their DNA profiles and is now matching them with profiles extracted from the estimated 50,000 bone samples that have been exhumed.

The group grew into the world's largest DNA-assisted identification program. It has identified 14,600 sets of remains in Bosnia, including those of some 7,000 Srebrenica victims. The commission, which also helped identify victims of Hurricane Katrina and the 2004 Asian tsunami, is now identifying missing people in Libya, Iraq, Colombia, Kuwait, Philippines and South Africa.

Bosnia remains its biggest operation.

"Without DNA, we would have never been able to identify anyone," Bomberger said Thursday. "However, this means that the families have to make the difficult decision on when to bury a person. And many of the women from Srebrenica want to bury their sons, their family members, the way they remember them when they were alive."

So thousands of traumatized mothers and widows are faced with a dilemma - whether to either bury just a fragment, or wait until more bones are found.

This year, the families of about 500 identified victims have decided not to accept just two or three bones. Those will remain stored in a mortuary in the northern city of Tuzla until more remains are found - or until the families get tired of waiting.

"We calculate that there are still about 1,000 persons missing. ... In addition, there are probably thousands of pieces of bodies" still to find, Bomberger said. "This is an extremely complex process that has taken a long time, just simply because of the efforts the perpetrators went to to hide the bodies."

Selimovic, who made a hard decision last year regarding her husband, said this year's decision was easier.

"Now I am burying two sons," she said. "They are complete. Just the younger one is missing a few fingers."

__

Cerkez reported from Sarajevo.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • InternationalMore>>

  • Official: Israel Cabinet to discuss cease-fire

    Official: Israel Cabinet to discuss cease-fire

    Friday, July 25 2014 2:45 AM EDT2014-07-25 06:45:17 GMT
    An Israeli defense official says the Security Cabinet is meeting to discuss international cease-fire efforts, but also the option of expanding its eight-day-old ground operation in Gaza.
    An Israeli defense official says the Security Cabinet is meeting to discuss international cease-fire efforts, but also the option of expanding its eight-day-old ground operation in Gaza.
  • France sends soldiers to guard Air Algeria wreck

    France sends soldiers to guard Air Algeria wreck

    Friday, July 25 2014 2:35 AM EDT2014-07-25 06:35:36 GMT
    French officials say that the wreckage of an Air Algeria plane which crashed with 116 people aboard has been found in Mali.
    French officials have dispatched a military unit to secure the site in Mali where an Air Algeria plane crashed in a heavy rainstorm with 116 people aboard.
  • Black boxes from Taiwan air crash investigated

    Black boxes from Taiwan air crash investigated

    Friday, July 25 2014 2:23 AM EDT2014-07-25 06:23:16 GMT
    Investigators on Friday were examining wreckage and flight data recorders for clues into a plane crash on a Taiwanese island that killed 48 people.
    Investigators on Friday were examining wreckage and flight data recorders for clues into a plane crash on a Taiwanese island that killed 48 people.