Ice Salt can harm your pets - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports

Ice Salt can harm your pets

Posted: Updated:

Amarillo, TX -  Even though the snow and ice from the weekend are mostly melted the ice salt left behind could hurt your dog or cat.

The ice salt is made of a mix of chemicals which can not only burn your pet's paws if they step on it, but also be dangerous if they ingest it when they lick their paws.

"Magnesium, Sodium and Calcium Chloride and by themselves they are not dangerous, but they are so concentrated in these solutions that when the animals ingest them vomiting is the most common sign," said Dr. Sarah Viera who is a Veterinarian at Hope Veterinarian Clinic.

Viera says if they ingest too much it could cause neurological problems such as tremors or seizures.

Another thing pet owners should be aware of is long haired dogs are more at risk than shorter hair breeds.

"Especially more in longer hair dogs with hair between the pads of their feet, the salt can get caught up in there and stick there and corrode their paws," Viera said.

The best thing pet owners can do Viera tells us is to make sure to wipe your pet's paws off after they stay outside for a long period of time.

Owners can also put boots on their dogs if they will keep them on.

But if you notice burns on your pet's paws or believe they ingested a large amount of the ice salt make sure you take them to the vet immediately.