Car explosion at apartment complex ruled accidental - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports

Car explosion at apartment complex ruled accidental

Amarillo, TX - A parked car exploded Tuesday night at The Granite Apartments at Olsen Park on South Western Street.

Amarillo fire marshals said an acetylene tank stored in the trunk of the car caused the explosion. There was a man inside the car at the time of the explosion but he only received minor injuries.

Acetylene tanks are mostly used by welders in torches for cutting. "Acetylene is just extremely volatile," said Ken Moore, the owner of B&J Welding Supply. "It's real sensitive to static electricity. Any slight little spark can actually ignite acetylene."

Static sparks from automatic door locks, turn signals and even brake lights can be enough to ignite leaking acetylene. 

Acetylene tanks are supposed to be stored upright in open spaces like the bed of a truck. Moore said inside the trunk or cab of a car are the worst places to store acetylene because leaking gas can accumulate and explode.

Madison Alewel - NewsChannel 10

  • Car explosion at apartment complex ruled accidentalMore>>

  • Madison Alewel

    Madison Alewel

    Madison anchors the 4, 6, 9 and 10 p.m. newscasts. She joined NewsChannel10 as a reporter in October 2013.

    Madison anchors the 4, 6, 9 and 10 p.m. newscasts. She joined NewsChannel10 as a reporter in October 2013.

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share
  • Today's Local News HeadlinesToday's Local NewsMore>>

  • How to protect against summer heat

    How to protect against summer heat

    Thursday, May 25 2017 11:19 PM EDT2017-05-26 03:19:47 GMT
    Source: KFDASource: KFDA

    There's no better way to beat the summer heat than heading to the pool. But don't forget your sunscreen...

    There's no better way to beat the summer heat than heading to the pool. But don't forget your sunscreen...

  • Wishing Well: wishes on the rise

    Thursday, May 25 2017 10:49 PM EDT2017-05-26 02:49:16 GMT
    Tatum and Shawna Schulte / Source: KFDATatum and Shawna Schulte / Source: KFDA

    Our local Make-A-Wish Office is granting more wishes than ever before because more doctors are referring sick children in need. 

    Our local Make-A-Wish Office is granting more wishes than ever before because more doctors are referring sick children in need. 

  • Parents encourage living #OneEarOut after daughter was hit by train

    Parents encourage living #OneEarOut after daughter was hit by train

    Thursday, May 25 2017 8:35 PM EDT2017-05-26 00:35:04 GMT
    Source: AshleyRandy Wilson Facebook PageSource: AshleyRandy Wilson Facebook Page

    After a teenage girl was hit by a train in Canadian, an organization is working with her parents to encourage people to be aware of their surroundings. 

    After a teenage girl was hit by a train in Canadian, an organization is working with her parents to encourage people to be aware of their surroundings. 

Powered by Frankly