Amarillo, Texas - It's a night one Amarillo teenager can't remember, but a night his mother can never forget. The night that put him in the hospital and then behind bars.
His mother says, "He was so out of it. He had no memory whatsoever of Friday night. The police told him, you are very lucky to be alive."
But many others haven't been so lucky, after taking a new type of legal drug.
They're called synthetic, or designer drugs, and they mimic anything from marijuana, to Xanax, to ecstasy.
Laviza Matthews with Impact Futures explains, "They are selling them under the guise of incense, or stain remover, or mosquito spray and if you look at them, there's no way that's what they would be used for."
The package says "not for human consumption," but that's not stopping an alarming number of teens in our area from taking them.
Matthews says, "The guy in there told me he turns away 30 to 40 kids every day at lunch time, so the word is out at the high schools."
As the number of those doing these drugs grows, so does the number of those ending up with seizures, heart attacks, and brain hemorrhages.
What's more frightening is often doctors don't even know what do.
In 2011, Poison Control got almost 6,000 calls nationwide on how to treat someone who had ingested one of these drugs. 90% of those calls were from hospitals.
Cardiologist Dr. Gary Soya says, "There's no real treatment. You try to treat the symptoms and you try to repair the damage that's been done, but if there is damage that's been done to the heart in the short term, the data has shown that there may be permanent damage that may last the rest of your life."
That's if you're even lucky enough to live.
Matthews says, "Where will you be when you have this seizure. Will you be driving and then you kill you and your baby sister?"
While the horror stories go on, the fact of the matter is, they probably won't end any time soon.
Matthews says, "This is just so hard to ban because they can really just change one part of it and it's called legal again."
The victim's mother says, "It scared me so badly to see my kid handcuffed to a hospital bed with I. V.'s through his body, that as I mother, felt like I had to do something."
Which is why she and many others refuse to just sit by and wait for the drugs to become illegal.
They are working to spread awareness and it starts this week with a letter being sent to all AISD parents about the dangers of these drugs.
Letter to parents from AISD: