Amarillo, TX - A tragic mobile home fire that left an area man and his dog dead has the community in disbelief.
Now a good friend is speaking out.
Larry Johnson took care of the elderly man living in the mobile home that burnt down Saturday afternoon.
Authorities aren't releasing the man's name right now, but Larry spoke to us about him today with a heavy heart.
"I was sitting right there and I looked out and saw the smoke coming out the top of his motor home."
At that moment, Larry knew something was wrong.
"I knew it was too late. Things were already popping, banging, and going off and that's why I had to get out of there," says Larry Johnson, Neighbor.
He tried to help the man and his dog but the flames were too big.
"It was pitch black smoke because when I opened the door part of the flame came right out. I had to jump back, it took my breath away," says Larry Johnson, Neighbor.
Larry kept calling out for his friend.
"I didn't hear no sound, no dog barking, no nothing so naturally I just grabbed my phone and dialed 9-1-1," says Larry Johnson, Neighbor.
The fire completely engulfed the mobile home, leaving it in pieces.
Neighbors say it took firefighters nearly one hour to put out the blaze.
Authorities don't know what started the fire yet but they say a propane tank near the house helped fuel the flames.
Larry and his neighbor were friends for the past three years.
"I had taken him meals over there and I've had him over here for meals and cookout. I checked on him all the time. If I didn't see him for a day or two I would go check on him to see he was okay," says Larry Johnson, Neighbor.
Several other neighbors we spoke with say the elderly man and his dog will be missed.