AMARILLO---Fire fighters are looking into what's to blame for sparking an inferno that swept through a three-apartment Florida Street home last night, leaving 17 people without their belongings.
We're told there was not a working smoke detector in any of the apartments inside when the home was destroyed.
The residents were able to escape the fire without injuries, but a couple Amarillo police officers were treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation.
Currently, the residents are being helped by the Panhandle chapter of the American Red Cross.
Red Cross administrators tell NewsChannel 10, the organization is currently under financial strain.
"This is the largest fire we have dealt with in several years. Any help from the community we could get, would be greatly appreciated. All of our money is donations." said Raenell Gore with the American Red Cross.