Canadian, TX - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports

Canadian, TX

CANADIAN,TX

Hemphill County

Population in July 2008: 2,290. Population change since 2000: +2.6%
 

Males: 1,095 

 (47.8%)

Females: 1,195 

 (52.2%)

 

Median resident age: 

 37.7 years

Texas median age: 

 32.3 years

Zip codes: 79014.


Estimated median household income in 2008: $46,908 (it was $31,929 in 2000)

Canadian: 

 $46,908

Texas: 

 $50,043


Estimated per capita income in 2008: $23,230

Canadian city income, earnings, and wages data

Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $95,498 (it was $48,100 in 2000)

Canadian: 

 $95,498

Texas: 

 $126,800


Mean prices in 2008: All housing units: $110,800; Detached houses: $116,333; Townhouses or other attached units: $166,140; Mobile homes: $20,861

Canadian, TX residents, houses, and apartments details

Races in Canadian:

  • White Non-Hispanic (79.7%)

  • Hispanic (18.8%)

  • Other race (9.0%)

  • American Indian (1.2%)

  • Two or more races (0.9%)

(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)


Dec. 2009 cost of living index in Canadian: 76.0 (low, U.S. average is 100)


Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Canadian-Texas.html#ixzz0tanVQTrS

THE CITADELLE ART FOUNDATION – Built in 1910 as the First Baptist Church, this property was purchased in1977 by Dr. Malouf and Therese Abraham and restored as a private residence. In May of 2009, the Abraham's donated their home and their extensive private art collection to the community as a public museum. Open Thurs- Sat 11 am–4 pm and Sun 1–4 pm. Located at 520 Nelson Ave. www.thecitadelle.org

RIVER VALLEY PIONEER MUSEUM – The museum preserves Canadian's pioneer and turn of the century heritage. The museum contains Period Rooms as well as Photograph and Glass Negative collections from the late 19th/early 20th centuries. It also holds geological, archeological, and Native American Exhibits. Open Tues-Fri 9 am– 12 pm/1-4 pm and Sat 1-4 pm. Closed Sun/Mon.Located at 118 North 2nd Street. www.rivervalleymuseum.Org

PALACE THEATRE – This beautifully-restored theatre boasts a digital projection system that is one of only 300 in the world. It is also the only THX approved theatre in the Texas Panhandle. New releases shown nightly with a matinee on Sundays. Located at 210 Main Street.

Located in Hemphill County just northeast of Canadian, the Lake Marvin area consists of 575 acres of grassland and riparian areas with a 63-acre lake. The area is part of the Black Kettle National Grassland which was first administered under Amarillo's Panhandle National Grasslands and later transferred to administration as a district of the Cibola National Forest. The management area provides recreational opportunities for fishing, picnicking, overnight camping, hiking, and wildlife watching.

Since its incorporation in 1908 and its founding long prior to that time, Canadian has always been a place of pride and purpose for its driven and determined citizens. In the 1985 Hemphill County History book, Tom Abraham noted, "…I know Canadian folks—they just don't give up." This speaks volumes about the people who have worked so hard over the past 130+ years to build this ever changing community that continues to thrive.

The Texas Crown is the most recent evolution of public buildings on this site. The first building constructed here was the Canadian Baptist Academy. Built in 1904, the Academy offered elementary, secondary, and college classes. Dormitories were available to boarding students. Tuition was $12 per month, but was later reduced to $5. In 1908, the enrollment peaked at 176 students. The Academy closed in 1913, three years after the construction of the first public high school in Canadian.

The building sat empty until 1919 when it was reopened as an orphanage supported by the local churches. But as time passed, the building became unsafe while the number of children increased. In 1924 the orphanage moved to Tipton, Oklahoma, where it continues today. Following the departure of the orphans, the building burned, and the site was used as a park until 1939.

The present building was constructed in 1939 after fire destroyed the high school. The structure was begun by the Public Works Administration on February 23, 1939. It was designed by Voelcker and Dixon in a Spanish Gothic style and named after Tom L. Hoover, son of Judge and Mrs. H. E. Hoover, prominent Canadian residents. The Class of 1940 was the first graduating class.

It served as the high school until 1976 when a new high school was constructed. The building was remodeled and converted into the Canadian Middle School, a function it continues today.

A complete renovation of the old auditorium was begun in 2008. Seats, curtains, rigging, lights and sound were all replaced. The original stage doubled in size, and four modern dressing rooms were added.



 

Powered by Frankly