By Megan Moore
Amarillo, Texas - 2009 is leaving us with no shortage of local newsmakers...although, their headlines were not exactly flattering.
Scandal in several arenas rocked our area this year. Here is a rundown of ten arrests and convictions that had everyone talking:
- The February guilty verdict against Michael Stocker for his involvement in the 2003 murder of Dustin Pool. Stocker received ten years probation.
- The April arrest of James Terry Shelnutt. He is accused in a 1981 double murder. He had been charged years ago, but a witness recanted a confession. New information led to the new murder charge.
-The June arrest of financier John Langford. He is accused of duping hundreds of local elderly people out of millions of dollars.
- The June arrest of Langford's business associate, Jimmy Don King, on similar charges.
- Also in June, WTAMU football coach Ryan Leaf was arrested for burglary in connection with prescription drugs.
- The August arrest of local attorney David Duncan on an array of charges, including aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and theft. He is believed to have tried twice to get a loaded gun past security.
- Also in August, local chiropractor Terry Lynn Fleetwood was arrested. Police say he beat his girlfriend unconscious.
- The next month, in September, we found out notorious Potter County Jail escapee Joshua Duane Barnes struck again...this time breaking out of a Galveston prison hospital. He was captured in Irving.