Carbon Monoxide Safety - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports

Carbon Monoxide Safety

Ryan Cody

NewsChannel 10

Amarillo, TX - If your home is heated with gas you may want to have the furnace checked for any malfunctions this winter season. The number one cause of accidental poisoning in the U.S. is from carbon monoxide.

"We make about 60 or 70 calls a year for carbon monoxide and most of those are in the winter months," says Captain Bob Johnson of the Amarillo Fire Department.

So its important to take necessary steps in keeping your home safe. Jim Craig of SCOTTCO in Amarillo says you should, "get a professional to come check it out and go and buy a carbon monoxide detector."

And don't assume your detector is broken because you don't notice or smell of gas in the house. You may not feel the symptoms of poisoning until it's too late. That's because low levels of CO in your house may take a while to affect you. But they are still dangerous. And never attempt to fix a gas leak yourself.

 Graig knows first hand that can be a terrible mistake. "A guy told us he wanted to fix his heater himself. He didn't get to it that day and his family went to the hospital.

Powered by Frankly