Carbon Monoxide Leak Prompts Pampa School to Evacuate - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports

Carbon Monoxide Leak Prompts Pampa School to Evacuate

Fire Chief Kim Powell Fire Chief Kim Powell

By Megan Moore
NewsChannel 10

Pampa, Texas - A carbon monoxide leak at Pampa High School prompted school officials to evacuate all students and shut down for the day on Wednesday.

An assistant principal started feeling ill with symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning.  Around 11 a.m., the school was evacuated and the fire department was called out.

Fire Chief Kim Powell says she and her crew noticed the high levels of the gas immediately.  They believe it may have come from the furnace being used for the first time this school year.  They turned it off and the levels went back down. Chief Powell says things at the school are now back to normal.

The Pampa I.S.D. superintendent says classes will resume at their normal time Thursday morning.

Powered by Frankly