Riot Breaks Out in Downtown Amarillo

David Grisham, RAVEN Amarillo
David Grisham, RAVEN Amarillo
Cpl. Jerry Neufeld, APD
Cpl. Jerry Neufeld, APD

by: Kristen Guilfoos
NewsChannel 10

Amarillo, Texas - Dozens of teens punching each other, shoving each other into the streets and even stomping on each others faces... It all happened in Downtown Amarillo very early Monday morning.

It looks like something straight out of the movies... but the scene wasn't created on a sound stage in Hollywood... NewsChannel 10 has exclusive video of what happened in Downtown Amarillo just after midnight on Sunday night.

One eyewitness told us, "There was probably 80 to 100 kids in the middle of the intersection at 7th and Polk. They were all fighting, pushing, shoving, screaming, yelling, and it was just going crazy. One guy had two or three guys stomping him in the face."

David Grisham's religious group, RAVEN Amarillo, was preaching to passersby, when he saw the whole thing erupt... He called 9-1-1 and started rolling his camera.

Amarillo Police Cpl. Jerry Neufeld says, the "biggest contributing factor was the alcohol. The more people drink, the mouthier they get, the braver they become. They're not willing to just let things go."

Grisham says they saw, "beer cans in the parking lot after this was over. Those alcoholic sports drinks. We even found a bottle of hard liquor."

Amarillo Police say if things continue to get out of hand, they'll have to make some serious changes. "We'll make our presence a little more visual. We'll work with the owners of the restaurants and bars. Obviously they don't want it. It's not good for their customers."

Grisham says he's appalled by this video, and fears things will only get worse if something isn't done now. "Somebody's gonna get stabbed. Somebody's gonna get shot, especially if there's gang activity involved. You could have drive by shootings at this place. Fortunately there weren't any weapons, but next time we might not be so fortunate."

APD says several teens were questioned and some were taken into custody, but later released.